In response to high demand for precise thickness optoelectronic wafers we have expanded our services & now offer wafer back-grinding, thinning and polishing with a range of precision lapping and polishing systems. We can process many different materials, including; InP, GaAs, GaN, GaP, Sapphire, Silicon & Glass with diameters up to 4’’ (100mm). Automatic plate flatness control & end point thickness control are utilised to produce superior results:
- Flatness of ± 2 μm over a 4’’ (100mm) diameter wafer
- Total thickness variation (TTV) of ± 3 μm over a 4’’ (100mm) diameter wafer
- End point to within 1 μm of the operator’s target thickness
Our wafer-substrate bonding system secures the wafer surface to protect from damage during back-grinding & helps prevent surface contamination. An eco-clean cycle follows the thinning process & ensures the safe de-bonding of the wafer from the carrier substrate, removing residues from the front side of the wafer. We can process and polish facets on planar lightwave circuits (PLC) and arrayed-waveguide gratings (AWG) to achieve surface roughness approaching atomic levels.
Helia Photonics has the equipment & experience to process your devices (e.g. diode lasers, optical detectors, etc.) pre and post thin film deposition.
• Vision assisted semi-automatic wafer to bar & bar to die cleave
• Fully automatic 2D chip scribe & break
• Low transfer tape – zero contamination
• Custom diamond tools for demanding applications
• Processes for GaAs, Si, Ge, InP & glass wafers
• Die singulation of GaAs, GaP, GaN, InP & Si devices
• Die inspection, sort and placement equipment for Gelpak, Grip-ring, etc
• Volumes from 1 die to >1M die per annum
Helia’s new laser-scribe facility enables us to cleave & singulate devices regardless of substrate crystal orientation. This is a great tool for the accurate scribing of non-orthogonal materials such as sapphire & GaN, or devices where the crystal plane does not match photolith-defined orientations.
This tool can also be used to define regular or irregular features within metals, glass & semiconductor materials.
Thinning & Polishing
We have a range of systems for uniformly removing material from planar substrates to reduce their thickness (e.g. coarse removal ~100’s mm) & polish (e.g. fine removal at mm scale). Materials such as silicon, GaAs, InP & glass can be processed at Helia’s facility. We can handle substrates with diameters up to 6″/150mm.
In addition, these facilities can be used to polish facets on solid state laser rods, planar lightwave circuits (PLC) & arrayed-waveguide gratings (AWG).